Our overall Science progress is a remarkable +0.21.
GCSE Biology and GCSE Chemistry progress is even higher at +0.74.
70% and above of our students achieved grades 9-4 in GCSE Combined Science and GCSE Physics.
(GCSE results, 2019)
‘Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.’ – Marie Curie
Our Science curriculum is broad and balanced and has been designed to encourage and foster articulate, curious, ambitious, and active learners, who confidently embrace challenges. We aim to nurture pupils’ inspiration for Science and teach them how to independently explore their learning, so that upon leaving Holy Trinity Catholic School, they are well rounded, well-educated young individuals who understand the importance of integrity and tolerance, and are skillfully capable of independent thought.
Mrs K Yusuf – Head of Science
Mrs H Khanom – Second in Charge of Science
Mr J Rodriguez – Science Teacher (Assistant Head teacher)
Mrs V Bryan – Science Teacher (Senior Middle Leader)
Mrs J Comelio – Science Teacher (Senior Middle Leader)
Mrs N Akhtar – Science Teacher
Ms P Chitroda – Science Support Assistant
Miss L Douglas – Science Technician
All students at Key Stage 3 follow the AQA KS3 Syllabus and will study the following topic areas in Year 7 and 8:
GCSE Combined Science and GCSE Triple Science pupils will study the following topic areas from Year 9:
Formative assessments take place on a day-to-day basis during teaching and learning, allowing teachers and pupils to assess progress more frequently. Summative assessments occur at the end of each topic area which are regularly monitored to inform targeted intervention. In addition to this, there are also terminal mock examinations towards the end of the end of the academic year.
The majority of pupils will sit six papers at the end of Year 11: two Biology, two Chemistry and two Physics. Each of the papers will assess knowledge and understanding from distinct topic areas. The examinations are as follows:
- AQA Combined Science Trilogy: Biology (1 hour and 15 minute assessment).
- AQA Combined Science Trilogy: Chemistry (1 hour and 15 minute assessment).
- AQA Combined Science Trilogy: Physics (1 hour and 15 minute assessment).
- AQA Biology (Triple Science): 1 hour and 45 minute assessment.
- AQA Chemistry (Triple Science): 1 hour and 45 minute assessment.
- AQA Physics (Triple Science): 1 hour and 45 minute assessment.
Pupils on the GCSE Biology only route will sit two Biology examinations at the end of year
Websites/ Useful Links
Revision guides are an essential tool in supporting pupils throughout their GCSE. The following revision guides can be purchased from school at Student Services.
Combined Science pupils in Year 10 and Year 11 should purchase the following revision guides:
- Grade 9-1 GCSE Combined Science: AQA Revision Guide with Online Edition – Higher
- Grade 9-1 GCSE Combined Science: AQA Revision Guide with Online Edition – Foundation
Triple Science pupils in Year 10 and Year 11 should purchase the following three revision guides:
· Grade 9-1 GCSE Biology AQA Complete Revision & Practice with Online Edition
· Grade 9-1 GCSE Chemistry AQA Complete Revision & Practice with Online Edition
· Grade 9-1 GCSE Physics AQA Complete Revision & Practice with Online Edition
The following websites (hyperlinks) are also very useful revision tools which will aid pupils across KS3 and KS4 in developing their independent learning skills, which will enable them to be effective learners:
- AQA Specification GCSE: https://www.aqa.org.uk/
- Primrose Kitten: AQA GCSE Science Revision for Combined and Separate Science Biology, Chemistry and physics
- Free Science Lessons: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbOeHaAUXw9Il7sBVG3_bw/videos
- BBC Bitesize AQA Combined Science Trilogy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/z8r997h
- BBC Bitesize AQA Biology: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/zpgcbk7
- BBC Bitesize AQA Chemistry: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/z8xtmnb
- BBC Bitesize AQA Physics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/zsc9rdm
- BBC Bitesize KS3 Science: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zng4d2p