In Key Stage 4 (Years 10 and 11) pupils follow a curriculum which includes some compulsory subjects but also gives them a choice of subjects they would like to study for GCSE or Level 2 Technical Awards.
Pupils in year 9 choose these option subjects during the Spring Term following a programme of advice and guidance from several different sources including careers advice, representation from outside employers and guidance from staff in subject areas.
Various materials are made available to assist pupils in their option choices – these include the Option presentation, Options Booklet and other Careers advice.
To demonstrate the process, the programme for year 9 pupils in 2018 was:-
- 15th January 2018 – Options assembly for year 9 where students were introduced to the Options process.
- W/c 22nd January 2018-Subject presentations to students.
- 15th February 2018 – Year 9 academic reports and parents consultation evening. Parents and students had the opportunity to discuss academic progress, to find out more about KS4 courses and to discuss in detail the suitability of the student courses. Careers advice was also available.
- W/c 22nd February 2018– DWP assembly and presentation from ex-students who is now study at University.
- W/c 4th March 2018– top tips for choosing options and key reminders from form tutors and Ms Hodson
- Thursday 8th March 2018- Guess my job workshop
- Monday 12th March 2018 – Deadline for submitting Options Preference form. Form must be signed by student and parent.
- Monday 23rd April – Friday 11th May 2018 students meetings with a Senior Leader.
- A letter was sent home to confirm option choices.
Every year we review the option process and would welcome feedback from parents/ carers. Information for current year 9 pupils will be made available here, at the appropriate time.
Students will have careers advice and inputs throughout the year as part of their Personal Social Development programme (PSD).
The school has put together an excellent and comprehensive booklet which guides pupils through their choices and shows what each department has on offer.